Monday, February 21, 2011

Teachers in School

Angels are sometimes teachers, and teachers, particularly high school teachers are all angels in my book. Have you ever met the people who go to high school? Individually, like my daughter, they are quite spectacularly lovable, but when they congregate? Yikes! It takes angels to herd them, let alone teach them. So here is a hats off to every teacher I've ever met, hated or loved.


GRADE SCHOOL

For some reason I still remember the name of every grade school teacher I ever had. Their personalities in particular, are still present in my memories. First grade was a prim, proper nurturer. Second grade a hell on wheels disciplinarian. Third grade a lusty, amazonian, vibrant tom boy. Fourth and Fifth grade were classic school marms at the end of their careers. Interesting that I had them both in the same year.

My sixth grade teacher was the first major teacher crush of my life. She was elegant, beautiful, politically active, smart as a whip and full of life. She also thought I was special. I expect she made every kid feel that way. I never created an opportunity to thank her for attending my father's funeral. It meant the world to me. She opened my eyes to a world outside of my provincial midwestern sub-village. I love her for that.

Through out the balance of secondary school and college I had many angels of note, most of them men of arts.

JUNIOR AND HIGH SCHOOL

In junior high Ertwin Hermerding ( a real name he has passed on ) was a recent college grad, total jock and passionate speech and theatre teacher. When I say jock, I mean this man was so muscle bound he couldn't throw a frisbee. I am grateful for his willingness to share his passion and his time with me. I remember visiting his apartment one summer, watching The Munsters, and sneaking furtive glances; completely dumbstruck, at his unfathomably beautiful girlfriend. ( oh give me a break, I was 13 - and yes, some women still render me dumbstruck ) I hadn't known a “real man” could love to act, sing, dance and play football until I met Ert.

There was an American History teacher I remember in high school who never gave me an “A”, ( because I wouldn't do the work ), but I really connected with him in intense classroom discussion. I love the fact that during his sabbatical year – he bought an “Ameripass” on Greyhound and traveled the entire year willy nilly across the continental United States. He stopped when he felt like it, taking photographs, talking to locals, sometime picking up odd jobs, and journaling his experience. Did I mention he was an American History teacher? Brilliant. He brought his experiences home and it enriched his classes dramatically.

My choir teacher during high school is one of my angels among angels. Music teachers, in my experience are a breed apart. Like other teachers they are passionate about teaching their subject, and yet they have to have something more. You can't crack and devour a book and then go lead a band or choir. You have to be a musician as well. The hours that this man spent in preparation, practice and personally guiding his students, boggles my mind. There is no doubt that without his shepherding, I would not have finished high school. More than a role model he became my ideal of what I wanted to be when I grew up. Blessings Mr. Ed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments. If you choose to post anonymously, I reserve the right to remove your post. Namaste. Lon